Thursday, 19 September 2013

Bridging the gap

So the good news is, we have now received the new bridge for SB2.7L, expect an update soon!
SB3, after a productive couple of days, I seem to have the makings of a near complete looking guitar!
Production seems to have been quite speedy, I suppose this is in a large part due to me having worked out faster ways of producing the guitar from my first run through, I feel I also owe a debt of gratitude to my ever growing tool collection, the two that stand out however would be my electric planer and my mitre saw (although the results of this probably remain to be seen as I haven't fretted the guitar yet). Overall, I'm very happy with this guitar in terms of production speed and quality, the only issue I have had so far is that the cavities are not the neatest I've ever done, in retrospect (the single coil is OK, this will be covered by a scratchplate anyway, the humbucker cavity is however a little sloppy looking), I think this may be due to the new hard board I used to make the jigs. I think I may need to switch to using plywood or something more dense, however, the cavities still fit within the safe area to be covered by the scratchplate or pickup surrounds, respectively.
A comment often made of my past guitars is that the necks tend to be quite fat, I think this guitar has a sort of 'sporty' look, so I'm going to try to build a more appropriate neck.
Starting with a thinner profile neck, widening smoothly at the body joint. I am also going with a near-flat fretboard radius, gently sanded to an even finish. This method provides a gradual compound radius, widening out towards the neck joint.
That's it for now, I'm trying to kit out my workshop to keep working after dark, so hopefully I will be able to start doing more regular posts, when I find the time...

No comments:

Post a Comment